Sunday, July 16, 2006

cuss words

One of the most impressive people I have ever had the pleasure of meeting is a young lady that is a daughter of a friend in Mexico and struggles with a rather hideous ailment. No need to go into details there. She is doing just fine now as far as I know.
Thing is, she has learned four languages. Four! She said that she does intend to learn any further languages. Four! The question that popped into my mind was – “How old am I and what do I have to show for it?”
This brings to mind a ridiculous article I recently read via Associated Press. The story was penned by Darlene Superville.
Not a poorly written article at all and no offense intended toward the writer, but rather toward the subject. I am not one to call people names, ever. Okay, maybe now and then, but this time I do believe it to be justified.
Seems that one Alan Mole is president of the American Literary Council. No, I’ve never heard of them before either.
Close your eyes for a second. Here goes the name-calling part of this post. Hmmm. Cannot bring myself to do it. Just suffice it to say that this man is obviously a couple of cans short of a six-pack.
Simplify the English language? ¿Por Que? Where does the problem lie? Me thinks that laziness may be the problem.
Learn the language. This man claims that children will learn quicker if words were spelled in a more phonetic manner.
I beg to differ. No, I demand to differ. Children will not learn easier as much as they learn a sorry excuse for the English language. Too, there will be all of us old farts who spell correctly and will have to read sentences that look like this : Winer of speling be taks hom top priz.
Good gourd! There is nothing wrong with learning how to speak, write and spell.
Forgive me the soapbox, but sometimes there is a pimple that demands to be popped.
####

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home