Thursday, July 13, 2006

Katherine Sigler July 21, 1945 - July 3, 2006

Every now and then, a chance encounter makes us remember with a somber smile. I remember being a young man and making my regular summer jaunts to Corpus Christi. My parents were rarely relied upon to offer an excuse to ship me off for the summer and who can possibly blame them?
Anyway, I heard the news on the car radio on the way to DFW airport that a girl named Ruth had died in a car crash the night before. I cried. I recognized her name and a somber smile fell upon my young face.
Ruth, you see, was the apple of the eye for any 6th grade boy. She was gorgeous beyond belief. I was not popular or handsome by any stretch of one’s imagination, but one day, while in English class, Ruth came and sat by me and asked to borrow a pencil.
I obliged her request, of course. She did not get up and leave though. She engaged me in a very polite conversation. I know that may sound a bit lame, but I have never forgotten the day that the popular girl took the time to be nice to me. I smile now just thinking about that morning.
Okay. Now jettison a few decades ahead. My wife and I met Elizabeth in San Miguel de Allende. We were set up to meet by a former boss to whom my wife had been employed. We became instant friends and stay in touch to this day.
On a trip to Fort Worth, we were invited by Elizabeth to stay a night in San Antonio at her mom’s house. Reticent would be a good word to use as to my mindset on that trip. I mean, I already knew that Elizabeth was great to be around, but what would the mom be like?
Surprise! This woman, that would be the mom, was the most fantastic hostess ever born unto this planet. Perfectly prepared salmon. Wine and wonderful conversation. If memory serves correct, she even offered me a cold beer the morning after that delectable meal that still was on my morning after a good meal and fine conversation mind.
Kathy was and is her name. To be more specific, Katherine Ann Buss Sigler.
The woman was vibrant and apparently quite the musician as far as the piano goes. I would not have known the musician part had I not recently read her obituary.
The woman took us in as if we were long lost relatives. No wonder Elizabeth turned out to be such a cool (as in neat, as in good) person to be around.
The picture in Kathy’s obituary showed her as hairless due to medical treatment. Nonetheless, she is radiant with a genuine smile. Genuine she was and is.
I think we all too often take for granted the nice gestures presented to us by people who are nice and giving for no other reason than that is the way to be.
Even though we were unable to attend services, our apartment was illuminated by many candles. Katherine Ann Buss Sigler was and is indeed a jewel.
July 21, 1945 – July 3, 2006.
Be you always in peace, dear lady.
####

1 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

you've got me thinking of those good folks in all of our lives that give of themselves so freely and without thought. it's amazing to me...

and as much as i've learned by their good example, i don't think it's the kind of thing i can "teach" myself to do. folks who give of themselves like that don't think "i need to do this because it's the right thing to do," they do it because it's chiseled into their being and they don't know how to operate any other way.

my uncle jack was that kind of cat. reading this post made me think of him even though he's in my thoughts constantly.

he was the type of cat who, if you told him you needed 20 grand tomorrow, he'd say he'd get it for you and never ask why. NOT cause he had the cash (cause he most definitely did NOT) but cause he'd do anything to help anyone in need and would get that dough somehow.

he passed away real suddenly in march while cleaning trash and clearing dead branches from the city park across the street from his pad where we used to play as boys. not cause it was the right thing to do, but cause he didn't know how to operate any other way. it's amazing to me...

11:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home