Friday, February 06, 2009

Lux Interior - You rocked

I think the year was 1980. Actually, I know it was 1980. I had gone over to Johnny Icicle’s house to pick him up and drive to a Fort Worth Cats rehearsal.
“Hey kid,’ he said. “Wanna hear something cool?” Five minutes later I was a diehard and lifelong fan of a band that went by the name of THE CRAMPS.
Their singer and front man was a skinny, and quite frankly scary (okay, maybe not scary, but uniquely interesting) looking guy who went by the moniker of Lux Interior. This guy exuded coolness and audacity.
While I have in my possession several of their albums, I am sorry to say that I never got to witness their live show except for video clips. Guess that is better than not seeing them at all.
One of the albums I have includes a song called Human Fly. One of the finest punk tunes ever penned.
“I’m a human fly and I don’t know why.”
The above line is what makes the tune so clever. He’s a human fly and there is no explanation for it. He just is.
Any fan of rock’n’roll who also appreciates horror and sci-fi movies has no choice but to be fascinated by Lux Interior and the Cramps. And yeah, I know his birth name, but bet that he would want to be remembered by the one mentioned in this piece.
For those not familiar, click on to www.stashdauber.blogspot.com. Scroll down until you see the post R.I.P. Lux Interior. The stashdauber was kind enough to share some classic live performances by the Cramps.
Ah. There one can observe what the true meaning of stage presence is. Writhing energy.
Adios Lux Interior. May your existence in death be as totally and outrageously cool as your existence in life among the rest of us. Outstanding and influential would be two good adjectives to place here.
Okay, time to dive into my LP collection and blare a little Psychedelic Jungle.
####

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home