Tuesday, April 24, 2007

iggy pop

So Iggy Pop recently turned 60 years of age. Good for you, Iggy. That ranks as amazing as the fact that Keith Richards is still roaming the planet.
Am I the only one that finds it hilarious that there is a cruise line using as a jingle Lust For Life? It is of course edited more than just a little mildly.
Remember the opening lines to that tune? Here’s a quick refresher:
Here comes Johnny yen again
With the liquor and drugs
And the flesh machine
He’s gonna do another striptease
Hey, man where’d you get that lotion
I been hurting
Since I bought the gimmick
About something called love

I somehow doubt most cruise passengers are extremely familiar with Iggy songs, but who knows? Far be it from me to underestimate anyone’s musical preference. Still, the humor of that particular song being used as a jingle smacks me with a strong sense of irony.
While on the subject, I can strongly suggest that anyone familiar with the David Bowie tune known as China Girl listen to Iggy Pop’s version. He did, after all, write the lyrics and his soulful, yet manic wailing is beyond comparison. That track is found on an LP known as “The Idiot.” I would imagine a CD exits by now either as the original or as part of a compilation.
####

2 Comments:

Blogger andrew m. said...

if they left in the line about "hypnotizing chickens" - i'd take that silly cruise in a second.

9:28 AM  
Blogger bodega train said...

Funny,
"had it the ear before" would be choice as well.

9:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home